Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Gervais F. Reed to Hamilton Chase

To Hamilton Chase,  1315 Hackney Ave, Winfield, Kansas
From Gervais F. Reed, Publisher of the Garden City Daily Telegram
Garden City, Kansas

April 28, 1944

Dear “Ham”:

Definitely I think you are one hellofa guy not to have stopped in here and bid a fare (or is it fair) ad - oo---- before shoving off into the big league class.   I knew you would sooner or later arrive on a job with more responsibility (?) but I didn’t hardly think it would be sooner!
Whats that ?

Thanks for your long-hand letter.   It came as a pleasant and complete surprise.  Am darn glad you like the new set-up and wish you could find adequate living quarters at the price you prefer to pay - - -but this Roosevelt prosperity that is existing in war centers is going to make this impossible.   Mark that down - - -then pick up your phone (don’t write) and tell your big bosses to step out and buy you a house - -or else. Double your salary- - - - -I wish you were a lino-type operator - - -I’d pay you more than double.

I have not idea of just when I’ll be in the vicinity of Kansas City.   I intended going down there several weeks ago but I find it damn near impossible to leave this joint even for lunch.   But when I do arrive - - -I’ll let you know.

Things are getting a bit rougher each day.   Its the labor angle that raises hell with a joint like this.  Of course in your racket you wouldn’t have any such trouble so I shant bother trying to explain it to you now.  

How did you like the way Sewell Avery shot off his mouth---then backed it up with his
cash ???   I’m standing on the side-lines cheering to beat hell for that guy.  This is one time the great white father in the White House overstepped his great visions of importance - -and its going to boomer-rang rite back smack in his crippled tail IF he decides to run this fall.  In fact, I think maybe the fate in this case was extremely kind to the American people-----for they will surely decide against this mental giant when the time comes. The CIO is quite an agreegation-- --but they lack a hellofa lot of having everyone in the set-up yet!
Thats that.

I’m expecting a little wage-hour session in a few weeks.  They won’t catch me up on not paying overtime. On the contrary- I’m guilty of raising wages on hours added into the cards-- --an indirect way to raise wages, get around the junk ideas expounded from that bird I mentioned in the above paragraph.  If this costs me a single thin dime I’m shutting this joint down-- --or letting the army come in and run it. The army could-- --they’ve got all the help!

Thanks again for taking the time to drop me ‘ them ‘ few lines.   It was real encouraging to learn that you could write-- --good too.   Try it again some time-- --meanwhile, lots of good luck to you--suh.

Yours,
GFR




No comments:

Post a Comment